Wednesday, November 19

Tikal

Because it involves a flight and significant traveling, not many people get to go to Tikal, one of the largest Mayan cities known, if not the largest. It's located in northern Guatemala and I got to go this week!! I said it involves a flight--on this tiny airplane!

The city is now a national park which is 16 square kilometers. I'm not sure how many miles that is, but we walked around for three hours and barely saw half of it.

What's interesting is scientists and archaelogists have only uncovered a quarter of the buildings at the site, both because of lack of money and lack of time. It takes 20 years to completely uncover one of the buildings, like this one hiding under all that dirt and those trees.

I got to climb one of the temples, which is about four stories high, to see this view.

As we walked through the jungle, one of the large buildings "downtown" peaked out through the trees.

Stay tuned for more.

No comments: