Sunday, November 23

More Mayas

There are nine tours to see Mayan ruins on this cruise and it's a little difficult for the tour team to get to all of them to explain which would be best suited for the guests' needs. So it's my tough job to check them out. Someone's got to do it, right? This week in Belize I went to Cahal Pech, a small site, but definitely one worth seeing if you want to step inside the Mayan world a little bit. You first come to the outside of the plaza complex and have to walk up 10 stairs to the first inner plaza.

You end up in this courtyard where the guide explains that this was a type of university and dwelling for the elite.


After that, you're free to climb through small archways and up and down stairs to get to small chambers for sleeping and studying, eating and celebrating.


Have I slipped into sales pitch mode? Either way, it was cool to see and be able to climb around in. I don't think I'll get on another Mayan tour this contract, but there's still three more I haven't yet seen. I have to save something for when we're back here in March. :)

No comments: