Thursday, January 11

Ahoy!



Who's that driving the ship? It's the Chief Officer, Remko Fehr! I tried to take a long shot of the bridge with Remko steering in the background. The covered part with all the buttons is the controls for the sails. The close-up shot below is of the steering wheel and the three numbers in red digital readings is our speed. The middle number is our speed ahead in knots and the top and bottom are speed left and right, and those are used when docking and anchoring. To the right in the radar.



Here's Remko on the bridge wing with the bearing compass just behind him on the pedestal. It's used for several things, one of which (okay the only one I remember!) is calculating the ship's position manually.



Here's Remko with the charts. Every half hour they have to put the ship's position on the chart of the area and log it into two books. Around him are the various reference books and radios to contact other ships and alert systems. I apologize for not being more detailed and for possibly getting some of this information wrong. When he's not so busy, I'll have him give me a refresher course and write back to correct any misinformation.



Your last choice is again from among three options:

A) Jump off the back of the ship and go swimming. When the swell isn't too high, they can lower a platform just above (and with the waves sometimes in) the water and you can jump and dive off and swim to the buoy. There's also kayaking and a boat to water ski and tube behind.

B) Sit outside on the Veranda deck in the nice wicker chairs reading a book and feeling the sea breeze.

C) Connect back to the world via the internet computer in the library.

Let me know what you think. Then after this I'm going to show you the runners up to finish our ship tour. Yeah! Thanks for voting, I've had a lot of fun doing this!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally A!

You have to jump off the back of the ship! Why you ask? Because that would be Awesome!

Oh Yeah! I wish I was there!
Jess =)

Jared said...

AAAAAAAAAAAA

Anonymous said...

You need to do A!!!
Hope the weather cooperates so you can!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Leah-
I havent looked at this since the new year- I love the New choose your own adventure route! I think you should show us (A) as a lot of us old HAL kids have seen everything else! heee hee! I would love to jump off the back of the ship right about now - its 27 degrees and I am supposed to live in the warmer part of California! Yikes! Supposed to snow today too!
Miss ya-
Summer

Anonymous said...

Swim to the buoy! Kayaking's cool too!
Those controls to steer the ship look so intimidating. Remko is quite the Master and Commander! :)

-Katie

Anonymous said...

A is my choice! All I can think of is that scene in the Sandra Bullock movie (why can't I think of the name) where the boat is taken over by a bad guy that likes leeches and at some point there is a fight on the back of the boat and I think a rope gets caught in the motor and starts to pull the cute good guy toward the motor....but no one gets hurt. So, jump! And, don't get caught in the motor.

Heidi

emigre said...

B)

y

Anonymous said...

splish-splash, our water is too hard here -8 for a high today!
Leon

Anonymous said...

Definitely A! The ship tour has been so much fun -- now I definitely have to go on a Holland America Cruise! It's about 10 degrees and snowing here today -- no swimming in Des Moines anytime soon.
Amanda