Saturday, August 4

1st of August


August 1st is Switzerland's Independence Day and this is the first year I've been here to celebrate. Remko's aunt, uncle, and parents joined us by the lake in Vitznau to watch the folklore show and fireworks. Yodelers followed by traditional dancers followed by Alphorn players made me smile, as did the way the town was gathered like they did this every year, which they do. I think I need to make a point to hear the Alphorn players by the lake each year.



At night the coolest thing happened. It's well established that I love cow bells. Guess what night-time tradition they have?? The farmers from up on the mountain gather with huge bells and walk to the center of town in a parade. The Alphorn players led this year followed by the bells and then by children with lanterns on sticks. It was so cool to see and so loud! I took a video and hope to have it up on YouTube by Monday for you to hear. I need to be here each year to hear that again and again!!


Happy 1st of August!

No comments: