Sunday, June 1

This One's for You, Dustin!

My second cousin Dustin loves to fish. I saw him just before I left for the ship and he basically told me that I had to try it in Alaska, so I did! We went on tour to bottom fish, which I've never done before. We had a heavy rod and reel with a weight about the size of a ping pong ball attached with artifical bait. We would lower the bait in the water until the weight hit the bottom (about 100 to 200 ft down) and then reel it in a couple turns. Then we would get a workout jigging the pole up and down to make the bait dance and attract the fish. Or at least that's what was supposed to happen. Two people in the boat got fish, I was not one of them. But it was a nice day and I got to try something new. Here's what the boat looked like:

And check out the fish! They are both rockfish. The tropical ones are tiger rockfish and the regular looking fish :) is a silver rockfish.

After a couple hours of fishing and an almost-hooked 20-pound halibut (there always has to be the one that got away) we motored to a remote campsite for lunch. It was rustic, but all decked out. The guide filleted the fish and we had that to eat with potatoes in a nice tomato sauce. Okay, I'm lying a little. Everyone else had fish, I skipped out and just had the potatoes. :)
At the campsite, they say that below is the most photographed ladies' restroom in Alaska. I had to take a photo, too.

It's a bathroom with a door and a seat and not much else. Pretty funny, though. My friend took some amazing photos of eagles and some better ones of the fish. Look for those soon!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel really bad for you since you did not catch a fish. But in Minnesota you will catch your 20 pound fish that got a way. It won't be a halibut. See ya soon.
Dustin