Friday, June 8

St. Mark's--Check!

Last night we approached Venice and cruised right through the Grand Canal to the port. What an amazing tour through the city! Looking down from the top deck you could see both the small water taxis on the canal and the monuments in the distance. We were pulled part of the way by a tug and it honked its horn several times to warn the other boats to stay clear.

One of the spectacular sights of the night was cruising by St. Mark’s Square, seeing all the people. I wondered what they thought as they looked over and saw our huge boat.

This morning I took a vaporetto (city bus) there to see the inside of the cathedral because on my last trip to Venice while studying abroad, we didn’t take the time to stand in line to walk inside.

As I hoped, it was beautiful with golden mosaics and intricate stone floors. We weren’t allowed to take photos inside, but I got one mosaic right above the main entrance to share what it looked like.

Just beside the church there was a line-up of gondolas, the icons of Venice. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

Today is the start of our repositioning cruise--we’re on our way to the Baltic, but we’ve got about a week in the Mediterranean left.

No comments: