Saturday, June 2

Santorini

Hello everyone! I’ve arrived safely onboard in Venice after three trains and a slight snow storm. Yes, snow at the end of May. The first two days were chilly, too, but now we’re in Greece and the weather is perfect: sunny and warm.

Yesterday we were at the island of Santorini. The town is at the top of the mountain and the tender drops you off at the base where you have three choices: walk, catch a cable car, or ride a donkey.

I rode a donkey! It had a mind of its own, stopping and starting when it chose, as well as veering close to both edges of the trail and the walkers going up and down. I experienced this, too, as I walked down. I would see a donkey coming up on the same side of the path as me, so I would go to the opposite side. The donkey would do the same. Each time I tried to avoid it, the donkey would brush ride by me. Pretty sure they didn’t like the stripes on my shirt--I didn’t know they were so critical. :)

The view from the top was amazing. Lots of white-washed buildings and little shops. I took loads of pictures that I’ll share in the coming days because it takes so long for them to upload on the ship. Stay tuned for more photos and more adventures. We’re in Turkey tomorrow.

No comments: