Wednesday, December 13

Volcano Sand

Today we were in Playa del Coco in Costa Rica and it was a beautiful, sunny day. Instead of tenders, we took Zodiacs ashore and just landed on the beach with the help of some locals. Here's a photo.



The beach is made up of volcanic, black sand. As the Zodiac drove closer ashore, the water started to look dirty, but it's just the surf kicking up the sand. Here's a photo of the separation of the clear water and the sand-filled wash.



I met some passengers on the ride over and we walked around the small town together. The main tourism points here are the scuba diving and the nearby rainforest, including a tour with 11 zip lines through the canopy that I hope to go on soon. Waiting for the next Zodiac to pick me up, I walked down the beach a bit and came across this abandoned boat. I thought it made for a nice photo. Then it was back onboard for more reading and embroidery. I'm working on my presidential redwork quilt and am almost finished working on Rutherford B. Hayes, the 19th president. I'll take a photo when I'm finished.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello
I am a cousin (?) from Remko, I got this page from Bjorn Kuil anyway I wish you and Remko a good journey
greeting from Marjanne

Anonymous said...

Leah, I thought you were still living in Des Moines. Either DSM has changed or you're not in Kansas anymore. I guess your mom has some stuff to fill me in on. Wow, I'm jealous. Congratulations of getting engaged. Best wishes. This blog is great and I'll keep watching to see where you're at.
Ruth Walz