Saturday, February 17

Pura Vida

Costa Ricans have a saying, "Pura Vida," that can mean almost anything, and literally means "pure life." It's an answer to How are you? or Thank you, a greeting, a send-off, and a lifestyle. Is it the constant warm weather and beautiful locations that make the people of this country so happy? Or their decision to just live life dwelling on the positive? Whatever it is, it's been a pleasure to be in this country for three months, with four more weeks to go. Maybe. Last time I announced an end date, we were asked to extend a couple days later—did I just jinx us?

I have a couple photos of that don't seem to fit in the rest of my posts, so I'll share them now. One is of a fishing boat off the shore of Quepos. They must have just made a big catch because the birds hovered right off the deck and followed in the water like baby ducks. Ruckus activity followed the boat as it came closer and closer to ours, but unfortunately died down a little by the time I ran and got my camera to take the photo.



The other is my favorite sign in Playa del Coco, the biggest "tourist" town we visit with its three blocks of gift shops. One of the stores decided to differentiate itself from the rest by declaring that some of its souvenirs are unique. It makes me smile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pure vida, now that's a good phrase for tattooing...

y